Brett’s Departure from ODA Devastates Students

Brett's Departure from ODA Devastates Students

Chloe Ruppert, Staff Writer

Earlier this semester, the students were informed that Brett Schnathmann, and his catering company, Truffle Catering, the company responsible for making our lunches here at ODA will not be coming back next year.

This news came along with numerous other changes that will be implemented at school next year. However, this news hit students and faculty especially hard because Brett has impacted the lives of every single student at ODA. He makes an effort to get to know everyone on a personal level.

The reason that Brett cannot return next year is because ODA has decided to use one catering company for all the food making at both campuses. This change is needed so students at both the upper and lower campus can get food of the same quality as the upper school. Brett can’t be two places at once and other companies want more of a share of the business than just the lower campus. If Brett were to stay, he would have to leave his own catering company to start working for the new, larger one.

Brett has been a part of the ODA community for eight years, and says that the favorite part of his job are the kids that he gets to see everyday. He says that coming to work is just like a normal job until he gets to talk to the students, then they instantly liven up his day.

“Its a huge shame for the school for Brett to leave because he does such a great job. I know a handful of students and teachers that get specific meals from him everyday, and I feel like the school won’t be able to produce just as good food quality as Brett did next year, but we’ll see how it goes,” says junior Chris Robinson.

“I think everyone is going to really miss Brett because they’ve developed personal relationships with him and he makes great food including sandwiches, but I’m excited to see what next year will bring for items to put in my stomach,” says Mrs. Betz.

“Brett puts his all into making us food and its a shame that he’s leaving, no one is going to be able to do as well as he did,” says sophomore Lucas Macleod.

“I’m extremely sad. I love Brett and his food so much and he’s an amazing person, basically seeing him is the only reason I come to school,” explains sophomore Sima Kosacheva.

“Brett was like a friend to me, and he was someone I could talk to whenever I wanted food, and he would actually try and make conversation with me,” says Junior Christian McCarthy.

“I love Brett. I love the Schnathmanns. I’ve taught here for twenty years and they’ve just always been a part of the ODA community so it will be really sad. Hopefully they’re moving on to do some bigger and better things but they will be severely missed, not just because of their awesome food, but because they’re great people,” says Mr. Brewer.

“I’m sad. I’m just completely sad because I’ve known him for three years and he’s always been so generous to me,” says junior Amad Brayboy.

Even though the community is upset with the news, we all know that he and his company deserve the best opportunities.

We’re going to miss you so much, Brett.