Thunder Athletes Advance to the Collegiate level

Chloe Ruppert, Staff Writer

Hey Juniors! If you have found yourself thinking that the decisions regarding college were coming way too fast, two of your fellow classmates, Maria Ross and Owen Ragsdale have already committed to college for their respective sports in the last month.

What this means is that their college process has already ended, when for many juniors, this process is just starting. In the fall of 2017, these two will be attending their colleges with the promise that they will participate on their sports teams.

The two have agreed to answer some questions about their personal take on the commitment process.

What sport do you play?

• Owen: Baseball.
  • Maria: Tennis

How long have you been playing your sport for?

• Owen: Since I was four years old.
  • Maria: I’ve been playing since I was six, but did not start playing competitively until I was nine.

What school are you committed to?

• Owen: Norwich University
  • Maria: Boston College

Has playing your sport caused you to make other sacrifices in your academic/social life? Were these sacrifices worth it?

• Owen: Yeah. My freshman year I was still trying to find that balance between sports and academics, and because of it my grades suffered. Now I have it under control. Socially, baseball hasn’t really had a negative impact. Maybe I don’t get to go to every single thing that my friends can, but it’s not that big of a deal because I love the sport.
  •  Maria: Tennis has definitely caused me to make sacrifices in my life. I feel that I have missed out on a lot of opportunities like playing other sports, social activities, and school because I travel so often for tournaments. However, looking back on it, I don’t regret pursuing tennis because I was able to pick my college and receive a full ride, and meet many new people, some of which I consider family now.

How did you feel once you committed to your school?

• Owen: Honestly, a lot of relief. I now know from now, until when I leave for school that I don’t have to worry about the college process. My commitment is verbal, which means I still have to apply, but I’m pretty much guaranteed in.
  • Maria: I felt overwhelmed with happiness once I was committed. It was a very stressful journey and I’m glad I found my home. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I’m also really happy with the school I chose.

What division is your school?

• Owen: Division three
  • Maria: Division one

Would you go to this school if you weren’t committed for sports?

• Owen: Definitely. Norwich offers everything that I look for in a school. Besides being able to play baseball for them, I can be a part of their military program. The military has been a part of my family for a long time, and it has always been a dream of mine to be a part of it. Norwich is also one of the top schools in the country, so I’m proud to say i’ll be a part of their 2021 class.
  • Maria: Honestly I don’t think I would be able to get in without tennis. However, if grades weren’t a factor, I would go to BC in a heartbeat.

Does your performance in your sport from now until you go to college effect your commitment in any way?

• Owen: Not really. I just have to keep playing travel ball and for the school.
  • Maria: Not necessarily. I will of course have to continue practicing and play tournaments, but they can’t take back a verbal commitment, so If I start playing badly there is no pressure. All I have to do is just try and improve and be able to compete at a college level.

Congratulations Owen and Maria! Keep up the amazing work.