Dr. Seuss Day Celebrations Led by AP Lang Students

Chloe Ruppert, Staff Writer

At the start of this month, 17 ODA juniors poured into Booker elementary classrooms to read stories. The event, organized locally by Embracing our Differences, was part of National Read Across America Day, which purposely lands on March second, Dr. Seuss’ birthday.

Read Across America is an organization, founded in 1997 in hopes of getting children from all backgrounds and communities interested in reading. The founders of this organization believed that if children were motivated to read, there would be a direct link to better success in school. Rightfully so, the most appropriate day to place this nationwide event was on Dr. Seuss Birthday, a beloved author to many generations of children.

Over 3.2 million teachers and students, including 50 organizations were involved in Read Across America day. The organizations are responsible for providing books for the children to keep, and in Sarasota, that organization was Embracing Our Differences.

Embracing Our Differences worked in conjunction with The Patterson Foundation, Community Foundation of Sarasota County and the United Way of Manatee County to provide almost 1,700 children from grades PreK to Fifth with Dr. Seuss books in almost 40 different schools.

Mrs. Betz volunteered her AP Lang students after a classroom discussion focused on meaningful service and engagement with the local community.

“We had great class discussions about our own involvement in the community and with service at Out-of-Door.  The general consensus was that the students were really wanting service to have more of a direct connection to those the service benefits.  Since then, I had been looking for an opportunity to do just that,” explains Betz.

AP Lang students were assigned a book and a grade level earlier in the week, and were expected to have read over the book prior to the field trip. After reading the book, the students then came up with discussion questions to ask their class following the reading.

At Booker Elementary, the grade levels participating included Pre-k all the way up to second grade. Some famous titles were read, including; Green Eggs and Ham, The Butter Battle Book, and Horton Hears a Who.

“It was really an eye opening experience, seeing a different schooling system. I’ve been at ODA for so long it was cool to see a different school and how a different community could be,” says junior Carling Landeche.

Z
Caitlin Camire reads Green Eggs and Ham.

2Q==
Alex Seftas leads a discussion with his students.

2Q==-1
Lexi DeBartolo helps her student color.

“The experience was great for me as a teacher because I was able to see 17 different elementary classrooms.  Each of these was working on reading skills, something that I continue to teach my students now.  I think it was amazing for my AP students to be a part, even a small one, of the Booker students’ reading practice.” Betz adds.