Tilly Talk

Question: Sometimes when I argue with my parent, it turns violent, what should I do?

Answer: First, You did the right thing by asking, that’s a very courageous thing to do, and I will try my best to answer your question to the best of my ability.

The most important thing you should do is talk about it, whether it be with your friends, siblings, or anyone you trust. If it gets to the point where you are starting to feel like it’s getting out of hand, the Academic Counselor Mrs. Lloyd is always here at ODA to help you, and any other teacher for that matter. Just remember that anything kept secret can make you feel sick.

I called our local SPARCC, Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center, to get some additional ideas about how you can deal with this. The woman working the hotline suggested that getting exercise, eating right, reading, and being around positive people are some things that can give you some peace and make you feel better. All of these can help you feel better about yourself, if nothing else.

If any of this helps, I am very glad. If none of this works, then I recommend you call a hot line such as NOVA, the National Outreach for Victims Assistance or talk to Mrs. Lloyd. They are the professionals who can help you.

If this continues to get worse, then I really encourage you to reach out to a professional. Right now, you’re doing the right thing. You’re talking about it and asking for help.

Best of luck.

Here is contact information for NOVA: 800-879-6682 (800-TRY-NOVA)
9 am-5 pm Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.