The Art Room is Overflowing with Trash!

Maggie McGaharan, JMJ, Staff Writer

This year in Art Foundations class, Ms. Kozak decided to introduce a new project: garbage sculptures. “I wanted to raise awareness and show how much garbage one kid collects in a week,” says Mrs. Kozak. “So I showed them a film on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and then handed them their assignment.”

The students enrolled in Kozak’s class were required to collect all of their garbage for ten days, washing it off, and putting it in a white garbage bag that they carried around with them at all times. After ten days, the students were required to build a sculpture. They could spray paint it chromatic colors, or they could leave the garbage sculptures plain. After they finish their sculptures, they will write an essay about what they’ve learned and become aware of during this time.

Although Mrs. Kozak was thrilled about this project, the rest of the students seemed a little less enthused about it.

Matthew Leonard, a sophomore, says, “When I first found out about the project I was angry. I didn’t want to have to carry a garbage bag with me 24/7. It would smell.”

But after being more than midway through the project, Matthew has changed his tune. He expounded how much fun he is having making sculptures out of a week’s worth of his own trash.

Danielle Lombardo, a sophomore, is very passionate about this project. “At first, I thought it was stupid,” says Danielle, “But then I noticed how wasteful I am. A lot of my garbage isn’t recyclable and harms the environment. I hope my project raises awareness to my family friends.” Danielle then picked up a hot glue gun, and pasted a water bottle onto a stack of about twenty others.

After Danielle carefully sat the hot glue gun down, Katie Young, a sophomore, picked it up and began gluing a broken plastic plate to a poster board. “Look, it’s the Garbage Patch,” she says. Katie says her piece will end up looking like a three dimensional painting of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

All of a sudden, the smell of spray paint fumes filled the room. “My piece broke in half!”, said Luke, a freshman. “Trash isn’t a very good canvas. You spray paint it and it breaks,” he said.

Next to him, Reanna Gregory, a sophomore, was working tediously on a very elaborate shark. The message Reanna was trying to give with this piece was that the garbage not only affects us, but also the animals and especially the sea creatures.

The sea creatures who are trapped in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch are hopeless. “They see the garbage floating around and think it’s food; they don’t know better,” said Kozak, “They die because the garbage poisons them. People find these dead fish and cut them open, only to find them full garbage. It’s very sad.”

Mrs. Kozak will display these sculptures around the arts room. She hopes they will inspire you to use products that are easily recyclable. So, do your part and save the ecosystem as well as make a piece of art.