The Student Newspaper of Out-of-Door Academy

The Bolt

ODA Interacts with the World

Lilli Carlton

You are standing in the same old place, doing the same old thing, and with nothing much going on. You feel a vibration from your phone and you look: there’s a breaking news update about something big that happened across the world– miles and miles and miles away from your place where nothing is happening. You start wondering what is going on in the rest of the world.

Global Citizens’ Club has been an outlet for ODA students to connect with the rest of the world and become philanthropic stewards of the world.

For the past several years, this club has hosted fundraisers such as Cardboard Challenge, dress-down days, and volleyball concessions where funds for go to Kiva, a global microfinance company, and other organizations.

But this year, Global Citizens Club has faced a change: a merger with the Lakewood Ranch Rotary Club’s Interact.  

Interact is an organization that helps students of one community connect to the rest of the world, much like Global Citizens Club. Interact clubs have service projects every year, with one that helps the clubs’ schools or communities and with another that provides and encourages international understanding.

Interact seems a lot like ODA’s Global Citizens Club. So, why merge?

“Merging with an organization with a long history and global chapters will create opportunities,” says Club Faculty-Leader and Upper School Teacher, Ms. Giraud. “New vision from new leaders can help us distribute responsibility.”

“I’m also hoping to connect with other interact groups and new projects,” says Ms. Giraud.

The students portray the same opinion about the merge.

“I think it’s a good idea because it expands our relations with Sarasota community, so we have more opportunities,” says Sophomore Celia Miller.

Global Citizens seems to get a lot out of what Interact can provide. Why does Interact want to become part of ODA’s community?

“The Lakewood Ranch Rotary Club wanted to make an Interact Club with the Global Citizen’s Club at ODA because its students are dedicated and passionate about making a difference locally and around the world,” says Lakewood Ranch Interact chapter leader Chris Johnson.

Interact also hopes see a Global Citizens Club/Interact have a new, self-sufficient government  structure run by the club’s students, taking on more projects annually while providing a wide range of experiences for everyone involved.

“I want the club to be run by the students on all levels and to pursue projects the students care about,” says Johnson. “I would also like to see a club that is responsive to the needs of the world and can be flexible enough to help with some disaster relief projects.”

Watch for Global Citizens Clubs/Interact fundraisers, such as jewelry-selling on Thunder Fun Day, dress-down day for Kiva, and many other fun events to come!